Financial Matters

In most cases the immediate family or the person making the funeral arrangements will be responsible for the payment of the funeral service, unless the deceased has already pre-paid their funeral.

The team at CCFS understands that not everyone has planned for their funeral and related costs. We believe it is important with any funeral (expected or not) to meet with family and discuss their wishes and ideas about the intended funeral service and then to see how we can cater the service to meet their needs and budget.

We often receive calls wanting an estimate of price, however we prefer not to just give ball-park prices. Instead we take the time to listen to family wishes / requests where we can then give a detailed estimate with no hidden costs that we stand behind.

After an arrangement, we are more than happy to provide a detailed estimate of costs, and normally if there are no changes to the requested services then these estimates remain unchanged.

It has become more acceptable in today's society to talk about death and one's own funeral and in some cases even recommended. Work and Income (formerly WINZ) often advises people who are contemplating going into residential care (Rest Home) to go to their Funeral Director and pre plan their funeral service. Work and Income have also made the provision for people to pre pay $10,000 towards their funeral in an effort to lower their assets if they intend on applying for the Residential Care Subsidy (which is asset/means tested).

Approximately 14 days following the funeral service, CCFS will issue a funeral invoice which is due for payment within 26 days of the date of invoice. CCFS is happy to discuss individual payment options for families prior to the invoice being overdue and incurring default payment fees.

In some cases families may be entitled to financial assistance from Government Agencies (see information and links below), depending on the circumstances of the death and their relationship to the deceased.


Work and Income (formerly WINZ)

You could be eligible for a Work and Income funeral grant if you are either:
the partner, spouse, child, parent or guardian of the deceased person, or
arranging the funeral of someone with no partner, spouse or child.

The amount granted depends on the money and assets the deceased person had, and, if you are their partner or parent, your own income and assets are also taken into account. The maximum funeral grant of $1,855.75 (as at 1st April 2010) is income and asset tested.

The basic principle applied by Work and Income is that you should be using the deceased person's finances to pay for a funeral service. The Work and Income funeral grant is only seen as a "top up" towards a funeral account.

You may not be eligable for a Work and Income grant if you are also applying to ACC for an ACC Funeral Grant.

Contact Work and Income on 0800 559 009 (7am - 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am - 1pm Saturday) or for more information   click here for Work and Incomes website


Ex-Service Persons

In addition to the above grants, anyone who served in the New Zealand Armed Forces prior to December 1947 could be eligible to a free or subsidised cemetery plot in the Services Lawn Cemetery. This may also apply to those who served in Korea, J. Force, Malaya or United Nation Peace Keeping Forces.

The Veteran's Pension gives entitlement to a lump sum payment on the death of the veteran and a lesser amount on the death of the partner.

A Surviving Spouses Pension is available to the partners of veterans who have died while on specified service, or if they were in receipt of a War Disablement Pension (of at least 70%) at the time of death, or their death is attributable to their service.

Contact Veterans' Affairs NZ on 0800 483 8372 (0800 4 VETERAN) or to view more information on Veterans affairs click here


If a family member dies as the result of an accident, you may be entitled to financial assistance from ACC. Once a claim is accepted, ACC may be able to offer financial support such as:

  • a Funeral Grant to help with funeral costs
  • a one-off Survivor's Grant for the spouse and children
  • ongoing childcare payments
  • Weekly income compensation

ACC can help bereaved partners, children and other dependants of any person who dies as a result of an accident. The cause of death must be known before ACC can pay any compensation. If there is no inquest after the cause of death is established, ACC payments can be made immediately.

Contact ACC on 0800 222 075 or click here for the ACC website


Victim Support

Victim Support is available for people affected by crime and trauma. They help restore hope and confidence, and they help people find strength. No matter where you are, what time of day or night - if you need help from Victim Support they are only a phone call away.

If you've been the victim of a crime or trauma you may be eligible for financial assistance. These grants can help you cover some of the costs when dealing with the aftermath of the crime or trauma.

There's a specific criteria for each grant that must be met and you'll need to supply additional information to qualify.

Call 0800 842 846 or for more information click here for Victim Support